Beursschouwburg is a multidisciplinary arts centre in the heart of Brussels. Here visitors can enjoy performance, film, concerts, exhibitions, debate and dialogue, as well as parties and drinks in the Beurscafé. This inclusive venue and meeting point never stops evolving and has grown significantly in recent years.
Beursschouwburg offers innovative artists and thinkers a platform. Genuine and complementary (international) collaborations, societal topics and an unblinking eye on the city and its developments are central to Beursschouwburg’s varied programme of performing arts, film, music and fine art. Beursschouwburg favours a polymorphous identity over a monotonous one.
As General and Artistic Director, you’ll work with a motivated team of 27 permanent staff members and a pool of freelancers, occasional workers and volunteers. Supported by an innovative, open, transparent and inclusive policy, you act to ensure Beursschouwburg’s continued success in the future.
- You have your finger on the pulse of the legislative developments in the arts sector. You are comfortable and familiar with the specific dynamic of the super-diverse Brussels metropolitan context and the political context of a subsidised non-profit organisation.
- Your approach to leadership is built on vision, trust, connection and decisiveness. You inspire and support the commitment and qualities of employees. You are good at delegating tasks and exhibit efficiency, decisiveness and an action-oriented mindset. You are a good people manager, experienced in managing and motivating teams. Soft skills are indispensable.
- You have relevant experience and excel in management and the judicious use of resources. You are not intimidated by financial and HR matters.
- You are able to take a critical view of the activities of Beursschouwburg. You have an innovative mindset and are capable of developing and implementing processes (of change).
- You’re a driven networker and a strong communicator in trilingual contexts (NL, FR, ENG).
- You are responsible for the development and implentation of a challenging and inspiring future vision for Beursschouwburg and the accompanying strategic and financial policy, supported by the team and the Board of Management.
- You translate this vision and strategy into plans and concrete objectives for Beursschouwburg’s activities, also factoring in sustainability. In consultation with the team, you write up the new policy plan for 2022-2026.
- You guide the various teams in the implementation and execution of the plan, as well as their evaluation and steering of it.
- You ensure that all policies (business, infrastructure, artistic, communication) align perfectly.
- In close consultation with the artistic team, you develop Beursschouwburg’s artistic vision, in which public activities, societally relevant developments, international and local developments are of central importance.
- You guide the team and are co-responsible for the realisation of this vision, taking into account the budgetary context, the available infrastructure, as well as diversity and public activities.
- You maintain local and (inter)national collaborations and develop them further.
- You serve as a sounding board and inspiration for the various departments, creating a bridge between them.
- You contribute to maintaining a warm organisation in which mututal respect and a motivational corporate culture are central.
COLLABORATION AND REPRESENTATION
- You establish, maintain and deepen relationships with a diversity of external contacts and stakeholders (media, political, artistic, societal, financial, and more) in Brussels, Flanders as well as internationally.
- You act as a point of contact for Beursschouwburg.
- You communicate with and are accountable to the Board of Management and the General Meeting.
- A full-time, permanent contract and extralegal benefits.
- A salary in line with your expertise and experience, according to the CAO Podiumkunsten (PC 304).
- A unique opportunity to help shape and promote a key cultural player in Brussels, Flanders and Europe.
Send us your motivation letter (max. 1 A4) and CV by 2 pm on 28 February 2020 at the latest, addressed to Agna Smisdom, Chairperson of the Board of Management (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The selection interviews will take place in the week beginning 9 March 2020.
This function is open to everyone. Beursschouwburg encourages equal opportunities and hires based on vision and approach, regardless of age, gender, ethnic or religious background, disability or diploma.